Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Alrighty then... another roadblock (shocker!)

Monday: So I'm making dinner when my mom calls with some questions regarding financing the real estate deals. She mainly wanted clarification on 2 things:
  1. How many properties they can fund/year before getting taxed (I didn't know there was a limit, nor did I know they could get taxed as it could be construed as a business if they did too many).
  2. The website states very clearly that ALL profits go back in to the IRA upon sale of the property and she wanted to know how I would be getting money in my pocket. Isn't she sweet thinking of me : )

I tried explaining to her that the note would spell out the terms and conditions regading how much they would earn from each property. So if we agreed that they would make $2k for a short term note and the profit was $10k after we sold the house, I would get $8k at closing. She wasn't understanding because, again, the website was very clear on where the profits went. So I said I would talk to Equity Trust the next day and get it spelled out for her.

Tuesday: I get my representative on the phone and start asking my moms questions. For the record, question #1 is 6-7 properties conservatively but more likely 10-12 purchases per year before a red flag is raised to the IRS. Okay, that sounds good - on to question #2. This is where things turn south. As I'm asking my question about my parents' IRA funding our purchase, how the terms are laid out, etc. he proceeds to tell me that that cannot be done. WHAT?! What do you mean it can't be done? Well, you are a "disqualified person" and your parents' IRA cannot lend to you it is against the IRS rules or some BS like that. I was soooo upset when I got off the phone. My mind would not stop racing on how I was going to get this to work without putting my parents money in jepardy of getting taxed, "A prohibited transaction can bring into question the tax-deferred status of the account, resulting in the disqualification of the self-directed IRA and severe tax and penalties". The first thing I did was send an email to my mentor at private money blueprint program. I'm currently waiting on his response.

In the meantime I started searching the web for an answer. It sounds like we can partner on deals where they put in 50% and I put in 50% (or whatever percentage you agree on) but they cannot fully fund a deal. I want 100% of the property purchased with private money.

So I'm pretty sure, not 100% but pretty damn close, that my parents will not be able to be a part of my program. All their money is in their retirement accounts and if they take any out they have to pay taxes. Not worth it and I completely understand!

Soooo, that's that.

Have not received the Insanity workout yet...

Headed off to listen to Steph's newest Wholesale success story interview. If interested head on over to www.flipthiswholesaler.net. You will get a ton of great content if you listen, I assure you!!

5 comments:

Shae said...

That stinks, Eileen! This was a timely post because I had no idea that a parent couldn't invest in a child's investments and we're starting a private money hunt right now for a property we're looking to buy & hold. Your post prompted me to go check the list of disqualified persons to learn more and glad to see that at least siblings, uncles, aunts, cousins, etc. seem to be ok.

This business....full of ups, downs, and surprises. You'll find another option.

Eileen-WI said...

Yep I didn't know either. I was even in communications with Patrick about my dads Ira funding our purchases, etc and he never mentioned it would be a problem. I would think this scenario would come up a lot in recruiting private money. Especially since they tell you to talk to family and friends first. I guess I shouldn't take what people teach as gold. A little frustrating. However we will be making other connections and know some will work out. My parents are a little upset though... It just stinks. BUT we'll get through, we always do!

Good luck with your offer and private money "getting"!!

Shae said...

If the funds weren't in a retirement account, it would be no biggie...so its still legitimate to talk to family (including parents) about a private lending scenario. For example, if your parents had the money sitting in a CD or something. Just so happens that they can't use the self-directed IRA approach (which sucks). We got a verbal offer acceptance on a house and now just waiting to get the signed contract back. It's a smokin' deal.

Eileen-WI said...

No, no I understand that there are other options when utilizing parents funds. It just seems like this scenario would come up a lot, don't ya think?? I guess I would just suggest to them to make that more clear in the manual. No biggie, just a learning curve I have to work through.

I hope that deal works out for you and can't wait to hear the numbers!

Shae said...

Sorry for the delay! I was away in Orlando. Yep, I agree that it would be a good idea to add that to the training so it's not a surprise to others. Hope all is well on your end...have a great week, Eileen!